TieDye Baby Blanket (2008)
|Pattern: Doily with Spiral
Yarn: Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock
Completed: January 25, 2008.
Well, the name tells you the “design intent” of this project! I was aiming to build a spiral tie dye effect, while retaining some sophistication in the pattern (lace border). I am relatively pleased with the blanket as a completed project, but I think it conveys “tie dye” in only the most abstract sense…
Blocked, the diameter is 39″ (45″ tip to tip).
I did a couple of things differently than the pattern indicates. I knit twice as many rows in the centre section (i.e., twice as many increases), in order to get the diameter I wanted. This meant I had to double the number of repeats in the lace border. Also, I knit each “spiral arm” separately, attaching it to the previous arm. The pattern is written to knit the whole thing circularly. That’s certainly the best way to knit it in one colour, but would have required me to have 8 balls of yarn active at all times (intarsia). I couldn’t see that working out. So, I added an extra stitch at the beginning of each “arm”, and used that as an anchor to attach the next arm. Then I had one seam to do: between the first & last arms. I did an overlay single crochet up that seam.
If I were to try this effect again, I would:
- pick different colours; the blue & purple are about right, but the yellow & red sort of miss the mark
- make the white arms narrower, or
- do all the arms in colour (no white arms)
And, yes, I claim that is “yellow” 🙂 The colourway is “daffodil”, and at least some skeins have more yellow than blue/green.