Blackberry Clafouti Socks (2011)

Back to main knitbot gallery page

blackberry clafouti
Pattern:  Usual sock hybrid

Artyarns Cashmere Sock, (approx 290 yds)
Method:  Hand knitting
Completed:  May 25 2011.

These are my standard socks -- toe up, following Wendy's Toe-Up pattern, and Cat Bordhi's Riverbed Arch expansion/plain heel.   I did a simple entrelac patterning on the ankle, in order to break up the striping effect of the very strongly variegated yarn.

And that leads to the name for the socks.  The clumps of light pink, dark purple and black really remind me of the gooey smear of colour in a clafouti -- cooked berries and batter.

The yarn is anything but standard -- cashmere and silk, oh my!  Yes, these are $72 socks:  the yarn was a serious indulgence.  But, quite honestly, just picking up the needles and feeling the yarn made me smile -- it's cheaper than therapy!

yarn in the rawyarn pets
It was just about scrunchable, in skein form
top down 1top down 2
Top down perspectives.  The yarn was both very stripey and pool-y in the foot, and I knew I didn't want that effect in the (visible) ankle.  So, I did the entrelac work on the calves to mix it up a bit.
entrelac close up on the footentrelac close up flat
Detail of the Cat Bordhi Riverbed arch expansion
beauty shot
Beauty shot!

Back to main knitbot gallery page